Our most popular entry-level course, the Swim Australia™ Teacher (SAT) has the competence and knowledge to teach swimming and water safety to independent learners from ages 2 ½ upward with an emphasis on safety, fun and skill development.
This course delivers the skills, knowledge and assessment to gain the competencies required to deliver GST free, water-related personal safety and survival lessons as determined by the federal government.
All enrolled Swim Australia course students are covered by SCTI Insurance for the duration of their course and will receive complimentary SWIM Graduate Membership and complimentary $0 Excess Teacher Insurance upon being accredited*
Units of Competency
This course covers the following units within the Certificate III of Aquatics and Recreation:
- SISCAQU002 Perform basic water rescues
- SISCAQU008 Instruct water familiarisation, buoyancy and mobility skills
- SISCAQU009 Instruct water safety and survival skills
- SISCAQU010 Instruct swimming strokes
- You must provide your Unique Student Identifier (USI) number at the time of enrolment. A USI is your individual education number and is required if you are undertaking nationally recognised training. To find or create your USI and further information please visit the website https://www.usi.gov.au/students
- You must also have a current Working with Children Check
After completion of all online Units of Competency, you will be provided with a Theory Acknowledgement. You will then be welcome to attend the Practical Induction workshop of your course which focuses on transitioning you from theory to hands-on practical.
Once the Practical Induction is complete you will be required to undertake On the Job training under the supervision and direction of a Lead Teacher of your sourcing. As your confidence and ability grows you will progressively become more involved in the lesson delivery and a Competency Assessment will then determine that you are at the required standard to work independently.
- Online Theory component – approx. 30 hrs
- Face to Face Practical workshop – 8 hrs
- On-the-job training – approx. 20 to 30 hrs
- Competency Assessment – 1.5 hrs
- Swimming in Australia
- Practical Biomechanics
- Introduction to Water
- Water Safety & Aquatic Survival
- Swimming Strokes
- Excellence in Teaching
- Lesson Planning
- Incident Reporting
- Online Theory Modules
- Practical Workshop Induction
- On-the-Job Training
- Competency Assessment
- Accumulative Training Record
- A copy of a current Statement of Attainment listing the HLTAID009- Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation
- Current Working with Children Check
- Unique Student Identifier (USI)
- Completion of the Safe Sport Framework
You may enrol in a Swim Australia™ Teacher course at 15 years of age but are not eligible to receive the accreditation until you are 16 years of age.
Certification | Accreditation
Students who have successfully completed this course will receive an electronic Swim Australia Teacher certificate along with a Statement of Attainment listing the above competencies.
All Swim Australia Teacher qualifications are valid for 3 years from the date of accreditation.
In addition, newly accredited teachers will receive complimentary Graduate SWIM Membership and Teacher Insurance for the length of accreditation (3 years).
How to Enrol in a Course:
Visit our Course Calendar to find an available course workshop in your area. Click on the appropriate course to view the course details and to register. Once payment has been made, you will receive further details on how to access the online theory modules of your course through the dita e-learning platform and confirmation of your booking into the practical induction workshop.
*Courses are to be completed within 12 months.