The Swim Australia™ Teacher of Learners with a Disability program offers an incredible opportunity to enhance your Swim Australia™ Teacher certification and develop the skills needed to cater to learners with disabilities. By completing this program, you’ll gain the expertise to recognise the unique requirements of each participant and ensure their safe entry and exit from the water. You’ll also learn how to provide tailored support during aquatic activities based on their individual needs and preferences. This program will complement your existing Swim Australia™ Teacher skills and expand your range of teaching abilities, making you a more engaged and inclusive teacher.
All enrolled Swim Australia course students are covered by SCTI Insurance for the duration of their course.
UNITS OF COMPETENCY
The Swim Australia™ Teacher of Learners with Disability covers the requirements of SISCAQU028 – Assist participants with a disability during aquatic activities and it is a nationally recognised unit of competency (UoC) recognised from the Sport, Aquatics and Recreation training package. Upon successful completion of all assessment requirements, candidates will be awarded a Statement of Attainment for the following unit:
- SISCAQU028 – Assist participants with a disability during aquatic activities
Must complete SISSS00132 Swimming and Water Safety Teacher (Swim Australia™ Teacher) skill set or hold the following units of competency from another Registered Training Organisation:
- SISCAQU024 Teach water familiarisation, buoyancy and mobility skills* AND
- SISCAQU025 Teach water safety and survival skills*
* Students will be required to provide evidence of the pre-requisite units (Statement of Attainment) before enrolling in this course.
COURSE ENROLMENT CONDITIONS
- Must provide a current Working with Children Check (WWCC). There may be exceptions for under-18s in some locations.
- Must provide their valid Unique Student Identifier (USI) number at the time of enrolment for verification by SWIM Australia. A USI is a reference number required by the Commonwealth statutory office (Student Identifiers Act 2014) and is obtained from the USI Registrar. For more information and to create a USI, visit the USI website.
- Students must have access to a computer, smartphone, tablet or other electronic devices with access to the internet to complete the online/ pre-course studies.
- Individuals on a VISA must check their VISA conditions before enrolling, we are not a CRICOS provider. Start a VISA query here
STUDENT JOURNEY & DELIVERY STRATEGY
This interactive course is delivered in a blended format with online theory and practical components.
The practical workshop requires attendance at a face-to-face training session for a full day. Students will also be required to complete supervised industry training in a swim teaching environment in a range of conditions. The course consists of theory, practical and “on-the-job” components:
- Theory component – topics completed via the SWIM Australia Learning Management System. Candidates will be able to book into a practical workshop once online modules are completed.
- Practical workshop and assessment – involves practical practices and scenarios carried out in shallow or deep water. Participants will be assessed in the workshop.
Candidates have 12 months to complete their training for all SWIM Australia courses unless otherwise stated.
Prices range from $315 to $360, depending on location. Please refer to the Course Calendar for specific pricing details prior to enrolment.
COURSE COMPLETION REQUIREMENTS
To be determined competent as a Swim Australia™ Teacher of Learners with a Disability , students will be required to complete and/or provide the following evidence:
- Submission of evidence of pre-requisites
- Online Theory assessment
- Practical Workshop and Assessment
- Accumulative Training Record with all tasks and relevant signatures completed
- Current Working with Children Check
- Unique Student Identifier (USI)
- Completion of the Swimming Australia Safe Sport Framework
CAREER OPPORTUNITIES AND BENEFITS
- The ability to increase your Swim Australia™ Teacher scope of delivery
- Complimentary Graduate SWIM Membership and Teacher Insurance for the length of accreditation (3 years)
- Accreditation for three (3) years from the course completion date
- Access to career pathways and resources in the aquatic industry
- Increased Employment Opportunities
- Ongoing guidance and support from an industry leader association
- Pathway credit towards SIS30122 Certificate III in Sport, Aquatics and Recreation
WANT TO GET STARTED?
Visit our Course Calendar to check the next available workshop. The dates you will see in the calendar are for when you can participate in your course’s practical workshop. To ensure you’re fully prepared, we recommend you plan ahead and set aside at least two (2) weeks from your preferred date to finish the theory component of the course. If you haven’t completed all the required theory components, you won’t be adequately prepared to attend the hands-on workshop. Please consult your Trainer if you face any challenges when completing the theory modules.