Accident prevention and rescue response are areas in which Australian lifeguards are renowned for their exceptional skills and knowledge, setting a benchmark for others around the world.
The skill set SISSS00133 – Pool Lifeguard provides the skills to supervise the safety of patrons and manage water-based rescues, casualties and emergencies in aquatic venues.
Our experienced trainers will move between the theory and practical components of the course, using the latest equipment and a range of realistic and practical scenarios to help you consolidate your learning and ensure you are skilled and confident in applying newly learned strategies and techniques.
UNITS OF COMPETENCY
The Pool Lifeguard course contains units of competency that are nationally recognised from the Sport, Aquatics and Recreation training package. Upon successful completion of all assessment requirements, candidates will be awarded a Statement of Attainment for the following units:
- SISCAQU019 Supervise patron safety in aquatic locations
- SISCAQU020 Perform water rescues
- SISCAQU021 Perform complex water rescues
- SISCAQU022 Provide oxygen resuscitation and therapy in an aquatic environment
COURSE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
- HLTAID011 – Provide First Aid*
- Must provide a valid Unique Student Identifier (USI) number at the time of enrolment for verification by SWIM Australia. A USI is a reference number required by the Commonwealth statutory office (Student Identifiers Act 2014) and is obtained from the USI Registrar. For more information and to create a USI, visit the USI website.
- Students must have access to a computer, smartphone, tablet or other electronic devices with access to the internet to complete the online/ pre-course studies.
- Adequate physical fitness and good health
- Minimum age: 16 years
- Individuals on a VISA must check their VISA conditions before enrolling, we are not a CRICOS provider. Start a VISA query here
*Students will be required to provide evidence or purchase and complete the pre-requisite units before enrolling in this program.
STUDENT JOURNEY & DELIVERY STRATEGY
This interactive course is delivered in a blended format with online theory and practical components.
- Theory component – topics completed via the SWIM Australia Learning Management System. Candidates will be able to book into a practical workshop once online modules are completed.
- Practical component – involves swimming activities that may be carried out in shallow or deep water.
It is expected that participants possess adequate physical fitness and good health to enrol in this course. The course involves the following physical activities: kneeling, bending over, crouching, standing, leaning, sitting, pushing, lifting weights, swimming long distances, towing, diving, carrying, perform CPR for an extended period of time and other forms of physical exertion.
All prospective Pool Lifeguards will be involved in active learning, role plays and troubleshooting activities on the days of their attendance. Communication, conflict resolution skills, incident reporting, and Venue checklists are also done within the theory component.
*Candidates have 3 months to complete their training. A refresher will need to be carried out every 12 months. Therefore, you mustn’t let your competencies expire.
Prices range from $325 to $365, depending on location. Please refer to the Course Calendar for specific pricing details prior to enrolment.
Completion/evidence submission of:
- Online Theory Modules
- Practical Workshop
- Competency Assessment
- Unique Student Identifier (USI)
CAREER OPPORTUNITIES AND BENEFITS
- Access to career pathways and resources in the aquatic industry.
- Opportunities in a wide variety of national and international locations.
- Increased employment opportunities.
- Ongoing guidance and support from an industry leader association.
- Pathway credit towards SIS30122 Certificate III in Sport, Aquatics and Recreation
WANT TO GET STARTED?
Visit our Course Calendar to check the next available workshop. The dates you will see in the calendar are for when you can participate in your course’s practical workshop. To ensure you’re fully prepared, we recommend you plan ahead and set aside at least two (2) weeks from your preferred date to finish the theory component of the course. If you haven’t completed all the required theory components, you won’t be adequately prepared to attend the hands-on workshop. Please consult your Trainer if you face any challenges when completing the theory modules.